Monday, October 29, 2007

MEET MISS GOLD, DORIS BALEIMAKOGAI

TEENAGER Doris Baleimakogai dedicated her victory in the Vodafone Gold Town Carnival to her mother, Ema Lidya Kivi, who died two weeks ago.

The Class Eight student of Vatukoula Convent School vowed to work with the carnival committee in helping the needy, saying that was a passion held dear by her mother.

"I am very excited to be crowned Miss Gold Town and I will always work with the committee to help the needy," Dori, 13, said.

"I want to dedicate my victory to my mother who passed away two weeks ago because she was the one who encouraged me to take part in the event."

Mrs Kivi was buried in Vatukoula on Saturday, October 13, just four days before the carnival started

Doris' father, Romeo, said he believed his daughter's victory was reward for the hardwork and sacrifices Doris made looking after her mother.

"Our family has been really struggling because my elder son is in a coma at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital in Suva after a serious accident last month while my wife passed away two weeks ago," he said.

"After she was buried on Saturday, I told Doris she should continue participating in the carnival because it was something her mother worked very hard for even when she was bedridden," he said.

Mr Kivi said he only hoped his wife could have been present when Doris was crowned Miss Gold Town.

Carnival trustees committee chairman Chandra Singh said they raised $50,300, with over $4000 donated by Fijians in
Australia.

CONGRATUALTIONS DORIS FROM THE FIJITUWAWA TEAM!


Adapted from Fijitimes Online